Academia & COVID-19
Academia is a unique residence. As the only affiliated private residence it offers the best of two worlds: the same academic, sporting and cultural ties as any other Stellenbosch University residence but with the freedom and opportunities offered by a standalone establishment.
Academia has the necessary protocols in place to address Covid-19. We comply with all statutory health and safety provisions, the University’s Covid-19 protocols and National Regulations.
More details are available on request, but in summary:
- Access to the Academia precinct and office is controlled. Biometric readers are used under strict sanitizing conditions.
- All buildings are fitted with foot-operated hand sanitizers.
- Students quarantine in their units. Where students share a two-bedroom unit, the office will address any need for one student to vacate in the unlikely event of this being required.
- We work closely with the University’s Campus Health to make sure we address each case in the best interest of the student.
- We have appointed an experienced Health and Safety consultant on a retainer and they are managing all Covid-19 communication with students and the tracing and tracking where required.
- In the event of quarantine/isolation, the office and our assistant resident heads are there to assist students with logistical and practical requirements (food delivery, laundry and the like).