Academia & COVID-19
Until further notice, no visitors are permitted onto the Academia Campus due to Covid-19 regulations.
Academia is a unique residence. As the only affiliated private residence it offers the best of two worlds: the same academic, sporting and cultural ties as any other Stellenbosch University residence but with the freedom and opportunities offered by a standalone establishment.
Academia has the necessary protocols in place to address Covid-19. We comply with all statutory health and safety provisions, the University’s Covid-19 protocols and National Regulations.
More details are available on request, but in summary:
- Access to the Academia precinct and office is controlled. Everybody must undergo a health screening (either via a screening form and temperature measure or via the Higher Learning screening tool for mobile phones) and we keep a record of entrants. Biometric readers are used under strict sanitizing conditions. Other options are available for those unwilling to use biometric readers.
- All buildings are fitted with foot-operated hand sanitizers.
- Students are required to acknowledge the Academia Covid-19 protocol and resultant change in the Academia Code of Conduct upon checking in. This protocol, inter alia, explains the steps to be taken in the case of a student experiencing symptoms, testing positive or having been in contact with someone who tested positive, the wearing of masks, sanitizing, the need for social distancing and related subjects.
- Of necessity, social interaction is restricted and our rules have been adjusted to support this. Students who do not comply with the updated rules and place other students at risk are subject to disciplinary action and may be asked to leave.
- Students quarantine in their units, alternatively in the appointed government health facility. Where students share a two-bedroom unit, the office will address any need for one student to vacate in the unlikely event of this being required.
- We work closely with the University’s Campus Health to make sure we address each case in the best interest of the student.
- We have appointed an experienced Health and Safety consultant on a retainer and they are managing all Covid-19 communication with students and the tracing and tracking.
- In the event of quarantine/isolation, the office and our assistant resident heads are there to assist students with logistical and practical requirements (food delivery, laundry and the like).
- Contractors coming onto the Academia site are required to comply with Covid-19 Regulations.
- The Academia staff is trained to perform any required sanitizing and have been issued with the necessary chemicals and personal protective gear.